Friday, January 18, 2013

Veggie Garden in the North Central and Rockies

The Region-Specific Gardening series is almost complete. 
Yes, I understand that these are not USDA zones but they're a great place to start. 


Starting seeds indoors in February is a great way to get your garden started early and have a thriving garden.  Seeds can be grown under light or in an area that gets plenty of sun.  I've seen quite a few people set up in their garage with lights and shelves.  It can be done!
source
 According to Mother Earth News, the top 10 crops for the North Central US and Rockies are:  Bulb Onion, Cherry Tomato, Carrot, Spinach, Snow/snap peas, Lettuce, Bush snap peas, Slicing Tomato, Potato and Radish.

I have said this in EVERY post so far...Grow Herbs!!!  If you have never grown a garden and you think you have a brown thumb...Try Basil!!!

Seed varieties to get started in February include:  Cabbage, Celery, Endive, Kale, Leeks, Lettuce, Onion, Radiccio, Spinach and Herbs.
Bulgarian Giant Leeks
Don't want to garden but like the idea of fresh greens?  Try SPROUTS!  Find out how to get more free seeds HERE!

My advice to anyone getting started:
-Plant ONLY Heirloom Seeds.  Find out why...
-Plant Basil!!!  It's easy.
-More easy varieties are: lettuce, beets, radish, turnips and borage.
-Try Peat Pellets for seed-starting made easy.
-Plant more seeds than you think you'll need.  Stuff happens!
-Take notes or keep a log of what works, what didn't work, questions and comments.  Or blog about it!


If you are looking for additional help for natural or organic pest control check out "Natural and Organic Pest Control." I use Neem Oil for powdery mildew when I just can't get rid of it any other way.
Consider Companion Planting for natural pest control and healthy veggies.


Helpful links:







Borage

Would you like more gardening info specific to your area?
Let me know!
Southern US (Gulf Coast) 
Southwest US
Southern Interior
Mid-Atlantic Coast
Central / Midwest US

Pacific Northwest US



Linking up HERE!


If you haven't already checked out Mary's facebook page...What are you waiting for?  I'm planning another giveaway...bigger than before.  Once my page hits 250 "likes" I'll announce the big giveaway.

1 comment:

Farmgirl Heidi said...

Hello Mary,
I am a new follower and I look forward to reading about your gardening experiences.