Sunday, January 6, 2013

No Resolutions for Me...Just Growing!

I stay away from New Year's Resolutions.  Instead, I try to set monthly goals both for our businesses and personal.  One thing that's at the top of the list is a big move (down the street)!  We have discussed moving for the last few months and it looks like we (more like I) will start the packing in February.  More on that later.

Another goal (part of the move) includes a bigger garden.  We like our current house but it is NOT energy effecient and the yard is kinda small.  Since we got the ball rolling to move in March I started a few more seeds than normal in the hopes that I'll have a harvest and transplants just in time to move.
Baby beans seedling
I planted Kentucky Wonder "Old Homestead" Beans, Blue Lake Bush beans, Pak Choy Cabbage, 5 Color Silverbeet Swiss Chard, Chioggio Beets, French Breakfast Radish, Radiccio, Serrano Peppers and LOTS of herbs.  I love Basil so I just had to plant the 3 varieties: Genovese, Fine Verde and Purple Opal.

Pak Choy Cabbage seedlings after 3 days
These are all in addition to the Royalty Purple beans, Cal Wonder Bell, Jalapeno and Anaheim Peppers, Red-Fig and Oxheart Tomatoes, Basil, Dill and Calendula.  The seed varieties listed will mature between 23 days (Radish) and 85 days (Tomatoes). The Red-Fig Tomatoes and Royalty Purple beans are already in the ground and producing!

*For a brief description of each of these varieties of heirlooms, click the link and scroll down*
My FIRST harvest of Purple Podded Beans!
To make growing all of these delicious heirloom veggies simple, easy and almost mess-free I use Peat Pellets.  See Growing with Peat Pellets!

Have you thought about starting or expanding your garden yet?  I know it's only January but planting time is right around the corner and it'll be here before you know it!  
If you live in a warm climate What are you waiting for???

Right now, through January 25th we are giving away loads of FREE Seed Packs with each purchase.


ALL orders $10-$25 will receive 1 FREE seed pack.

Orders $26-$55 will include 2 FREE seed packs.

All orders over $55 will include 3 FREE Seed packs of your choice!

Free shipping included on ALL orders!
 *Free Heirloom garden Seeds only.  Does not include sprout seeds*

8 comments:

I Gotta Try That said...

You seem to grow things with such ease. I wish I had a green thumb! Thanks for sharing on I Gotta Try That.
Hugs,
Marcie

Lisa @ Flour Me With Love said...

I've tried to grow a lot of seeds indoors and they don't look as beautiful as yours! Thanks so much for sharing at Mix it up Monday :)

Anonymous said...

I'm jealous! I can't get anything to grow.

Katie @ Horrific Knits

Mary Smith said...

If you have trouble growing I'm happy to help! You can find detailed growing instruction on my Growing from Seed page.
http://back2basichealth.blogspot.com/p/growing-from-seed.html

Another option is to sign up for the newsletter. Lots of great info!
Thanks for stopping by!

Heavenly Bodies said...

Just yesterday I bought some organic soil along with some seed starters. I'm going to keep them out side during the day, and bring them in at night. Being in Louisiana I should easily be able to move them outside full time in February.

Audra @ Renewed Projects said...

Wish I could plant now...but we're in Colorado and freezing season has just begun. The pics of your little seedlings are adorable. They look so fresh!

Anonymous said...

I'm doing monthly goals too! I'm not nearly as 'started' as you are with my seedlings and all, but there's still time. Love your purple podded beans!

I'm blogging about my monthly goals which are following the book by Anna Hess, Weekend Homesteader. Come by if you are interested!

Visiting from Tilly's Nest's Down Home Blog Hop!

Kristi @Let This Mind Be in You

Mary Smith said...

I just posted about getting started with your veggie garden if you're in the Southern (and eastern) portion of the US...Texas, Alabama, Louisiana, Mississippi and Florida!

More regions are on the way!
http://back2basichealth.blogspot.com/2013/01/veggie-gardening-in-southern-us.html