Thursday, January 31, 2013

Homemade Allergy Tincture

Another recipe for alternative "medicine." So far I have been very pleased with all the recipes I have tried.  
From the Vegan Lip Balm, Basil Lemonade and now herbal tinctures...It's so easy!

For my allergy tincture I used Doc's Allergy Tea.  It is an herbal combination which can be used as a tea, infusion or tincture.  The ingredients include: organic Nettle leaf, organic Fennel seed, organic Lemongrass, organic Spearmint leaf, organic Eyebright, organic Calendula flowers, organic Peppermint leaf, organic Red Clover herb and blossoms, organic Lavender flowers, organic Blue Vervain, and organic Stevia leaf.
Yes, I've had plenty of "can I smoke it?" comments!

I won't get into the specific properties of each herb but I can tell you that, used as tea, it is wonderfully minty and works well for seasonal allergy relief.  

If this is your first time making a tincture you might read "What is a Tincture?" Explained.  There are quite a few helpful links and additional recipes.

You'll need:  A clean jar, vodka or everclear, herb(s), measuring cups and/or scale, labels and cheesecloth or strainer.  If you don't have a strainer you can use a funnel with a coffee filter.

Homemade Allergy Tincture
Tincture at 2 weeks
Ingredients:
1 ounce Allergy herbal tea (dry herbs)
2-3 cups vodka (alcohol)
For a stronger tincture use less alcohol
*DO NOT use rubbing alcohol*

Directions
Place the herbs in your jar and cover with alcohol (vodka). 
Shake every other day (or every day)   
**Label your jar**

Tincture is ready in 4-6 weeks, strain out herbs and place in a darker jar or leave in a dark place (cabinet). 
Dosage for Adults: 1 - 2 ml, two times daily

*Because I used alcohol as the solvent and I'll keep the finished tincture in an amber bottle, this herbal remedy should last indefinitely.  I could pass it on to the next generation but we'll use it up before then!

I just added a new combo pack...
Grow Your Own Herbal "Medicine" Kit  Check it out!!!

Looking for more recipes?
Cayenne Tincture
Homemade Chamomile Tincture
Fresh Basil Tincture 

You'll find me sharing HERE

8 comments:

Unknown said...

I am stopping by from Grow Your Blog Hop hosted by This Gal Cooks. Love your blog because it is certainly right up my alley. I only wish I had a chance to start gardening. If you like, you can visit me at wheybeyondthenakedtruth.com.

Ang Paris said...

Hi Mary!
This is a great tutorial - I'm sharing it with my best friend who has tons of allergies.
I'm stopping by from the Grow Your Blog hop. Hope you have a great day!
-ang
Juggling Act Mama
http://jugglingactmama.blogspot.com

Mary Smith said...

Thank you ladies! I hope the allergy recipe is helpful.

Anonymous said...

Stumbled this. :) Sounds great!

Ladies Holiday said...

This is impressive! So cool. Thanks for contributing to the Photo Friday Blog hop. We hope to see you again next week. Have a super weekend!

Lisa'sLettersandLace said...

Hi, I am a proud new follower. I live in a southern Maine town that is very much into sustainable living. I have a feeling I will be checking in on your wonderful site often. Lisa

Sarah said...

Thank you for sharing this! I have terrible seasonal allergies that are only mildly helped with traditional medications. I am definitely making the tea this spring.



















Kate said...

Looks like this tea is no longer available at that link. Do you have another one you suggest now? Also, have you ever tried with Organic Diamond Clear as the alcohol to keep the tincture completely organic? Thanks