Sunday, January 20, 2013

Cayenne Pepper and Lemon Juice

I am determined to stay healthy this "flu season."  Working in a medical office I am constantly coming in contact with sickies.  I decided to take matters into my own hands.

peppers
Cayenne Pepper is a nightshade vegetable.  While adding a little (or a lot) of hot and spicy to any dish, cayenne pepper can also be very therapeutic.  Cayenne pepper contains capsaicin which can open up your sinuses, fight inflammation, cardiovascular support, helps with ulcers, boosts immune system and metabolism.

THIS is what got my attention:  "Cayenne pepper's bright red color signals its high content of beta-carotene or pro-vitamin A. Just two teaspoons of cayenne pepper provide 47% of the daily value for vitamin A. Often called the anti-infection vitamin, vitamin A is essential for healthy epithelial tissues including the mucous membranes that line the nasal passages, lungs, intestinal tract and urinary tract and serve as the body's first line of defense against invading pathogens." source

powder
I decided to make this remedy for several reasons.  #1 is that my husband has asthma and allergies so I'd like to give him a healthier alternative than the OTC junk he takes everyday.  #2 is I hate getting sick and since I so rarely get sick I'm a miserable sickie. 

Cayenne Pepper and Lemon Juice recipe
1/2 lemon squeezed
*If you don't have fresh, used 2 tablespoons of "real lemon" or equivalent*
1/4 - 1 teaspoon cayenne pepper (powder)
*If it's your first time, start slow*
8 ounces water

Directions:  
Add all ingredients to a large glass.  Stir and chug.
I do this 3 times per day

*Update*  We have been drinking this for 48 hours.  Since I wrote this post 24 hours ago, my husband has not had to use his asthma inhaler.  That's HUGE!

This worked so well we now offer a DIY Cayenne Tincture Kit 

DIY Tincture kits include:
1 - 32 ounce Glass Jar with lid, 1 - 2 ounce Amber Bottle with dropper top,  2 customizable labels, 1 ounce of Organic Herbs (additional herbs available) 
and Detailed Instructions

 Find our more @ Mary's Tincture Shop

While my husband calls this mixture "floor cleaner" because it smells lemony, he actually asked for a glass when I went in to make mine this morning.  It's amazing what nature has to offer!

You can read about the Health benefits of Lemon HERE.  
I make Basil Lemonade and posted the recipe last year.  It was a hit!  
Helpful link for Cayenne Pepper.

Disclaimer: Should not be taken with ACE inhibitors. Not as a substitute for professional medical prevention, diagnosis, or treatment. Please consult with your physician, pharmacist, or health care provider before taking any home remedies or supplements or following any treatment suggested by anyone on this site. Only your health care provider, personal physician, or pharmacist can provide you with advice on what is safe and effective for your unique needs or diagnose your particular medical history.

Linking up HERE.

19 comments:

I Gotta Try That said...

My mom use to mix cayenne, lemon and honey together. We would eat a spoon full a few times a day when we were sick. I still use it. Thanks so much for sharing this on my party!!! Have a great day.
Hugs,
Marcie @ I Gotta Try That

Connie Nelson said...

I am an asthmatic and have tons of allergy's. I will have to try this! Thanks! New GFC follower here from Let's Get Social :)

LuAnn @ BackPorchervations said...

*ROFL* Floor cleaner. Back when I was pregnant the last time, I had horrid congestion. But I could not use regular decongestants because they raised my blood pressure. And I abhor "pork rinds", but the Cajun-flavored rinds in the snack machine at work were my only salvation some nights!

Found you and following through the Let's Get Social Sunday link up! :O)

Gwen said...

I will definitely try this today. Thanks for sharing.

I'm a new follower from Thumping Thursdays. Have a good week!

xo,
Gwen
http://junior-executive.blogspot.com
http://green-bellpepper.blogspot.com/

Anonymous said...

I love this kind of stuff---easy and doable at home. Great idea, Mary. I'm pinning this in my "Homemade Medicinals" folder on Pinterest.

Thanks Mary!

~Kristi@Let This Mind Be in You

Heavenly Bodies said...

Thanks for posting this one of my sons, and my husband both have asthma. I have been wanting to search for a natural remedy, but you gave it to me, thanks. Now if I could just get my 14 year old to drink it.

Unknown said...

Another great tip. Thank you for sharing!

Already your follower hopping by, blogging @ Why?

Anonymous said...

I need this! What a fantastic tip to beat the winter blues and flu season. I would love for you to link this up at my healthy recipes/goals party - http://www.eatenjoylive.blogspot.co.uk/2013/01/weigh-in-link-up.html

newyearsresolutionexercise said...

This sounds like a good way to take Cayenne Pepper. I was looking for a new way to take pepper besides putting it in my food. New Follower.

Crystelle Boutique said...

YES~! I love cayenne pepper when I have a bad cold. It really helps!

Thanks for your fabulous tips... :)

hugs x
Crystelle

Daniela @Frugal Aint Cheap said...

I have been using cayenne pepper for a long time. it's even sold in capsules

Mary Smith said...

Thank you everyone for stopping by and for all of the wonderful comments!!! We're still drinking my "Immunity juice" and we both feel great.
Have a great week!

Unknown said...

Following from the Favorite Things blog hop. I am trying this. I am a nurse at a very busy nursing home and while my immune system attacks squirrels in the back yard my middle baby is not so lucky. I think she will be drinking some of this tonight. cheermamadrama.blogspot.com

Lisa Lynn said...

Great way to warm up in the winter :)
Thanks for linking up to The HomeAcre Hop!
http://www.theselfsufficienthomeacre.com/2013/01/the-homeacre-hop-4.html

Unknown said...

I love this remedy! Cayenne and lemon with a squeeze of local raw honey in a glass of water is a go-to for me. I also use a cayenne tincture that I made. :) I found your blog through HomeAcre Hop.

Love,
Desiree
regrowroots.wordpress.com

Fluster Buster said...

Going to have to give this a try. I found you at the Weekend Wonders Party and I’ve become your newest follower on GFC. I’m also hosting a party this week and I would love for you to come by and share this at my party - Fluster’s Creative Muster.
http://www.flusterbuster.com/2013/01/flusters-creative-muster-party-4.html

Hugs and Smiles,

Robin
@ Fluster Buster


ClutteredMama said...

Found you through "My Turn for Us" blog hop! I'm planning my garden now, so I'll have to order some cayenne seeds (we already have a lemon tree). Good stuff!

Michelle O said...

Good idea on the go slow to start with! I used Cayenne in cooking the other day for the first time...got a little over amorous and well, I was burning at the back of my throat for a while!!

Thank you so much for sharing this at The Purple Pumpkin Blog! Hope to see you again at the next party

Have a wonderful week
Michelle xx

Daisy Alex said...

Your blog is wonderful. Quite impressive & helpful content. Thanks for sharing! Cayenne Pepper