Tuesday, November 20, 2012

You mean it's NOT all about me?!? Journey Update (#6)

Yes I am thankful for many things but I have decided not to share all of those things just because it is Thanksgiving.  I am thankful year-round so I'll share all of my mushiness in a later post. 
My sisters Michelle (l) and Jen (m) in Julian!  I love you both!
I love you too Mom! (not pictured)
My sister Jen (right) signing autographs in Cocoa Beach.  I love you Jen!
Our journey has had it's ups and downs.  Not surprised!  We have managed to get to the gym more often and managed to keep up with the Awesome Abs video!  Yes, we've blown it several times (like Thursday at a charity event) and I'm not even going to try to be good for Thanksgiving.

However, there are quite a few things that we can do to stay focus on our journey.

1. Stay Hydrated!
From webmd:  "Our bodies are made up of about 60% water, and every system depends on water. So water is important for healthy skin, hair, and nails, as well as controlling body temperature, heart rate, and blood pressure."
When we talk about drinking more water to our patients it's: "The water in your coffee, tea, sports drink or cocktail do not count.  8-12 glasses or 8 ounces or more per day."

2.  Get Plenty of Sleep!
A short-lived bout of insomnia is generally nothing to worry about. The bigger concern is chronic sleep loss, which can contribute to health problems such as weight gain, high blood pressure, and a decrease in the immune system’s power, reports the Harvard Women’s Health Watch.

3. Eat!
According to Livestrong: "Eating five small meals throughout the day can help you control your appetite, raise your metabolism and reduce your chances of overeating. Eating more frequently reduces your risk of obesity by decreasing the blood insulin response to long fasts that increase fat storage and weight gain, according to MayoClinic.com. It's important to plan your grazing to ensure you eat the right amount of calories and get the vitamins and minerals you need."
Eating five small meals throughout the day can help you control your appetite, raise your metabolism and reduce your chances of overeating. Eating more frequently reduces your risk of obesity by decreasing the blood insulin response to long fasts that increase fat storage and weight gain, according to MayoClinic.com. It's important to plan your grazing to ensure you eat the right amount of calories and get the vitamins and minerals you need.

Read more: http://www.livestrong.com/article/200706-how-to-eat-five-small-meals-a-day-to-lose-weight/#ixzz2CliBEDEE

4.  Stretched before and after you exercise!
Most professional athletes, trainers and Chiropractors all agree that stretching before your workout is the safest way to protect your muscles, tendons and ligaments from injury and get them in a state of readiness for exercise.  In our office we give specific stretching instructions to each patient to minimize the risk of injury or re-injury.

5.  Plan ahead to exercise!
Not everyone has a schedule that allows them to workout at the same time and day but planning ahead can make a big difference.  Not the "gym type"?  Swimming is a wonderful way to exercise and is low impact.  Walking is another great form of exercise.  You can walk around the block, around the neighborhood or even the beach.  Walking at the beach is fantastic and I do it as often as possible!

6.  Don't get discourage!
Setting unreasonable goals just might be the #1 reason people quit.  January seems to be the busiest month of the entire year at our gym.  People set the fantastic goals for new years and just fizzle.  I like to set reasonable goals and then re-assess at the end of 4 weeks.  Also, If I don't hit my goals in 4 weeks that's okay.  I set new goals and keep on working!
My Dad with the grandkids!  I love you Dad!

I'll share my final Eco-Friendly Gift Giving next week!  I'm signing off for a few days.  There's work to be done and I'm off to the gym!

Happy Thanksgiving!

7 comments:

Pam said...

Great tips! I stopped by from the Made in a Day linkup. New follower by email and GFC. Have a wonderful Thanksgiving!

Unknown said...

excellent post. I'm so looking forward to losing my mind on Thanksgiving, just a bit, and then getting right back... to the basics.

Aloha Sweet Friend,

The ladies and I are starting to gather a bit early this week so that we can take our turkey loving time mingling and growing together over the next few days.

Thank you for linking up with us last week, thank you for sharing your sweet energy with all of us... thank you for being beautiful you.

Come join us if you please.
xo,
Nicole
localsugarhawaii.com

Unknown said...

Those are so good tips. Thanks for sharing.
Steph
swtboutique.blogspot.com

Jessi @ Practically Functional said...

Great tips, especially the one about stretching. Most people forget to do it before and after! Thanks for sharing at The Fun In Functional!

Becky Elmuccio said...

I've been stretching more on days that I don't exercise too. I'm finding that I am less tired on those days just because I take a moment to slow down and breathe. Thanks for sharing on Tuesday Greens on www.craftygardenmama.com!

Suroth said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Suroth said...

In last 12 month of my life i have seen the difference of having a job and not doing anything at all in life. I lost 7 Kg in month when i went to work and put it back on since i left it, gained in 3 month. so i guess its not exercise it your mind and your diet.

http://www.naturalhouseremedy.info