Sunday, November 11, 2012

Eco-Friendly Gift-Giving (part 3) Spice it!

Welcome to part 3 of Eco-Friendly Gift-Giving.  
Don't forget to check out part 1 Grow It! and part 2 Decorate It!

The web has an abundance of DIY projects out there for just about everyone!  Today I'll share a few DIY Spice Mixes that are so easy you'll wonder why you're paying those ridiculous prices for store-bought  rubs and spice mixes.  I'm thinking about putting these in smaller jars to give as gifts,  I'll share a few more DIY jar crafts later in the series!

Making these yourself and packaging in recycled glass jars are a great way to save more and reduce waste.


Bulk spices saves a lots of $$
Basic Rub Mix
4 tablespoons paprika
1 ½ tablespoons cayenne
2 tablespoons freshly ground
black pepper
3 tablespoons garlic powder
3 tablespoons onion powder
3 tablespoons salt
1 ½ tablespoons oregano
1 ½ tablespoons thyme


Steak Fajita Spice blend
3 tablespoons cornstarch
2 tablespoons chili powder
1 tablespoon kosher salt
1 tablespoon paprika (for more kick, use hot paprika)
1 teaspoon onion powder
1 teaspoon garlic powder
1 teaspoon sugar
1/2 teaspoon cumin
1/2 teaspoon cayenne pepper


Homemade Rajin’ Cajun Seasoning:
1/2 cup paprika
1/3 cup Himalayan Salt or sea salt
1/4 cup Garlic Powder
2 Tablespoons Black Pepper
2 Tablespoons Onion Powder
1 Tablespoon Cayenne Pepper (optional- won’t be spicy without this)
2 Tablespoons Oregano leaf
1 Tablespoon Thyme leaf

To Make: Mix all ingredients in jar or food processor and store in an airtight container.

Recipes adapted from mama and baby love.

Save Your Jars (which started this whole series) has been featured at Homemaker on a Dime , Mop it Up Mondays and Natural Living Mama!
Giving Back was featured at  My Life's a Treasure !

This is a series of Eco-Friendly Gift Giving:
Grow It! (part 1)
Decorate It! (part 2) 

14 comments:

Feral Turtle said...

Good job Mary. They all sound so good.

Unknown said...

These will be perfect for my Dad. He is our BBQ Master, Thanks for sharing at my Our Favorite Things Link Party. You have been helping my knock off my Christmas list.

Heavenly Bodies said...

I love this idea, thanks for sharing.

Katherines Corner said...

Well done Mary! xo P.S. hopping over from Kim's Social hop

Helen @ Blue Eyed Beauty Blog said...

The Cajun seasoning looks yummy!

Helen
Blue Eyed Beauty Blog

Barb said...

Great ideas! These would make good gifts for a young adult just starting out with their first apartment.

Becca said...

Cool idea to make those and give as gifts! Thanks for sharing at A Humble Bumble!

Paula Parrish said...

Thanks for sharing your DIY Spice Mixes recipes. I will put them to go use in my kitchen. ;o)

Christine said...

GREAT ideas!!!!! The Cajun seasoning sounds GREAT!

Thanks so much for sharing this at The DIY Dreamer... From Dream To Reality!

Jessi @ Practically Functional said...

Oh yum, that rub mix sounds great! Thanks for sharing at The Fun In Functional!

Betsy Pool said...

This is a great idea!! Thanks for sharing this recipes!

Kathy Shea Mormino, The Chicken Chick said...

Great ideas for thoughtful gifts!
Thank you for linking up with the Clever Chick!

Cheers,
Kathy Shea Mormino
The Chicken Chick
http://www.The-Chicken-Chick.com

Earning-My-Cape said...

So happy to feature you at me Super Link Party! :-)
http://earning-my-cape.blogspot.com/2012/11/super-link-party-28.html
Please let me know if you have a blog button, and I will display it for the week under Featured Guests.
(I'll be offline for a couple of days, but I will still display it for a week when I get back.)
Have a Happy Thanksgiving!

Unknown said...

Thanks for these great spice blend recipes! I just printed them off so I can make some for my family! Thanks for sharing on the homemade holiday party.

Marilyn
4you-withlove.blogspot.com