Wednesday, November 7, 2012

Eco-Friendly Gift-Giving (part 1) Grow It!

You've probably already become inundated with "holiday" this and that.  The simple fact is that most people don't really need more "stuff" which will most likely sit on a shelf collecting dust or hanging in a closet somewhere waiting for the next "white elephant" gift party.

This is the year of eco-friendly gift giving.  Whether it's a Housewarming, Birthday, Thanksgiving or Christmas gift let's go Green!

I've put together a few gift packs at Mary's Heirloom Seeds that I thought I'd share with you.  I can only promise that these babies will be available through November.  These are special packs which include a personalized gift box and Peat Pellets.



"The Works" Salad gift pack 
This grand-daddy of all salad seed packs Includes:

Cal Wonder Bell Pepper, Arugula, Beefsteak Tomato, 
French Breakfast Radish, Little Gem Lettuce, 
New Jersey Wakefield Cabbage,  5 Color Silverbeet Swiss Chard,
 Danver's Half-Long Carrot, National Pickling Cucumber and
 He She Ko Bunching Onion.
Plus, 50 Peat Pellets and a personalized gift box.  Ships for free!




There’s nothing quite like homemade salsa 
from homegrown veggies! *Recipe included* 
Includes seed packs:
Ace 55 and Roma Tomatoes, Jalapeno and Anaheim Peppers,  
Red Burgundy Onion and Cilantro.    
Plus, 25 Peat Pellets and a personalized gift box.  Ships for free!




"In the Kitchen" Garden gift pack
Includes all of the "In the Kitchen" Garden pack herb seeds:
Fine Verde Basil, Cilantro, Dill Vierling, 
Oregano, Tarragon and Thyme.
Plus, 25 Peat Pellets and a personalized gift box! Ships for free!




One step closer to delicious homegrown tomatoes!
Includes Tomato seed varieties:
Ace 55, Beefsteak, Amana's Orange, 
Emerald Green, Roma and Red Fig
Plus, 25 Peat Pellets  and a personalized gift box! Ships for free!

There are two smaller "gift bags" available. 
One with 3 Basil varieties and the other with 3 Pepper varieties.  Each includes 9 Peat Pellets to get you growing!

The possible seed combos are endless!  Create your own!  I wish I had taken a picture of the basket I sent my sister and her family 2 years ago.  I included heirloom seeds, gardening gloves, small hand tools, peat pellets, organic fertilizer and a gardening guide that I had put together.  I put all of the items in a large galvanized tub so that she could use it to grow something in or keep her gardening stuff in.

How about a LIVE garden gift basket?

Buy seeds and start them yourself.  In 4 weeks you'll have little plants that make great gifts.
From Life on the Balcony

31 comments:

Unknown said...

Interesting, this year I am doing cookies in a jar recipe but I will keep these in mind for next years christmas presents. Personally I think christmas shopping has gotten way out of hand.

Candice
lillythroughthevalley.blogspot.com

Mary Smith said...

I totally agree! Stay tuned for more in the series. Next is decorating jars, them DIY mixes and jar ideas.
Thanks for stopping by!

Leah said...

Great ideas. I am actually starting some succulents to pot and give as gifts - but I like the idea of starting other seeds such as herbs, or giving a seed gift basket.

Mary Smith said...

Hi Leah! Seeds and supplies are a great idea and can be very inexpensive. I'm working on DIY decorating next!

Domesblissity said...

These are the kinds of gifts I like to give and receive. I have a linky party every Thursday here in Australia and I'd love it so much if you linked up.

http://domesblissity.blogspot.com.au/2012/11/thriving-on-thursdays-linky-party-41.html

Anne xx

Meeha Meeha said...

Simple and wonderful idea! Christmas should be about joy with the family, not spending enormous amounts of cash on silly stuff. I'm you newest follower :)

Katherines Corner said...

Great ideas! Thank you for sharing at the Thursday Favorite Things hop xo

Unknown said...

what a beautiful way to share your garden with so many. I love this.

Aloha,

I just wanted to you to know how incredibly sweet it was to have you at An Aloha Affair last week. I hope you'll join me and our team of beautiful bloggers this week for an even bigger affair. I'll save a spot just for you...

Cheers,
Nicole
localsugarhawaii.com

Melanie said...

These are wesome ideas!! I was planning on making gift packs of some kind for my coworkers! I will have to remember this when I need something in the spring time!! Happy Friendship Friday!

Melanie
melaniescrazylife.blogspot.com

The Domesticated Princess said...

I agree. Most of us already have too much "stuff," so these are clever ideas.

Unknown said...

Totally agree.We have been doing things like this for the last few years. Potted fruit saplings, bird feeders and the such... Love the garden tools idea. Thanks for sharing at Mom's Library!

Unknown said...

Great idea! I love plants as gifts. Thanks for sharing.
Steph
swtboutique.blogspot.com

Paula said...

I'm dreading Christmas shopping! Everyone is in such a rush and so competitive it stresses me out.

Thanks for sharing this cute idea with my NO RULES Weekend Blog Party!

Paula
lifeasweknowitbypaula.blogspot.com

Ladies Holiday said...

I love the DIY/Green Christmas/holiday gift ideas! This is what I'd like to do this year instead of ending up with a trashbag filled with plastic and styrofoam! Thanks for sharing and linking up on Ladies Holiday this week. Happy weekend and we hope to see you next week. Cheers!

Nicole said...

What a beautiful gift idea! Thanks for sharing!

Jessi @ Practically Functional said...

Great idea for gifts! Thanks for sharing at The Fun In Functional!

Leslie @ Violet Imperfection said...

I never thought about giving seeds as Christmas gifts, what a great idea!

Thanks for linking up at Raising Imperfection!

Lanaya | Raising Reagan said...

What a super cool idea!! Very eco-friendly and I love the gift basket idea.

Thank you for linking up your favorite post to Raising Imperfection Sunday Link Up!
Come back Friday to see if you were featured!!

Lanaya
www.raising-reagan.com

Anonymous said...

Hi! I am your newest follower and was hoping that you would stop by my blog and follow me back.

www.enjoyingtheepiphany.com

Thanks,
Sarah

mail4rosey said...

Perfect timing. I think unique gifts like this are fun for holiday office gift exchanges, and family and friends too!

I’m visiting from the Raising Imperfection Hop.

Unknown said...

Great idea for gifts. I was thinking just the seed set then you threw in the idea to start the seeds myself and give plants. Thanks for sharing this wonderful idea at my Our Favorite Things Link Party.

Maureen Wyatt said...

Such a great idea! ~ Maureen

Dani - Diane - ATA Girls said...

Great ideas - I love giving items to grow as gifts. Joining from Inspire me Monday - http://allthoseartsygirls.blogspot.com/

Helen @ Blue Eyed Beauty Blog said...

Hello! I am visiting via the I Gotta Try That link party! I'm one of those people who tend to make most of the gifts that I give. Not only for Christmas, but for birthdays and other holidays, events, and parties as well!

Helen
Blue Eyed Beauty Blog

I Gotta Try That said...

Such creative and great gift ideas. Love it! I appreciate you sharing on "I Gotta Try That Monday"
Marcie

Unknown said...

I love these ideas! Especially the live garden gift basket! ~Diane

Jessica said...

Fabulous gift ideas, and lovely presentations. People must love you during the holidays ;) I give homemade cookies every year using some type of recycled packaging (this year it will be coffee tins). Thanks for sharing at Sweet Saturday :)

Adorned From Above said...

Great ideas. Thanks so much for sharing at last Wednesday's Adorned From Above Link Party. This weeks party is live. The link to the party is
http://www.adornedfromabove.com/2012/11/wednesdays-adorned-from-above-link_14.html
Can't wait to see you there.
Have a great week.
Debi

Unknown said...

these are great ideas! I am definitely pinning this post. Thanks for sharing!

Hugs,
Lelanie

Unknown said...

Thank you for such an informative blog, I have recently been searching for details about this and yours is the best I have located so far.
eco friendly baby gifts

Unknown said...

I love these ideas for the gardener on your holiday list....or it would be great for someone who has recently purchased a new home! Thanks for sharing on the homemade holiday party.

Marilyn
4you-withlove.blogspot.com