Thursday, November 15, 2012

BEANS!!!

I'm taking a break from my Eco-Friendly Gift Giving series to share about growing beans.  Yes, I am fully aware that it is November and not technically garden time (for most).   
**Since Heirloom Seeds make great gifts I'm sharing!**

In Florida I have been experimenting growing different varieties at different times of the year.  It's still 80 degrees here so I'm currently growing Pink Oxheart Tomatoes, Anaheim and Cal Wonder Bell Peppers, Green and Purple Basil.  I just recently added Royalty Purple Podded Beans (new arrival at Mary's Heirloom Seeds) and they are AMAZING!

I soaked the beans for 3 hours.  The pic above is approx 3 days.

Day 5! (above)
Day 8! (above)

With a little water and Florida sunshine I'll have Royalty Purple Podded Beans in approx 48 more days!  When they are mature they should look like this:

This morning I transplanted these babies into the garden and I'll share an update next week.  For instructions on growing beans check our the Growing From Seed page.

12 comments:

Our Neck of the Woods said...

Awesome! I was just telling my husband the other day that I want to plant beans. Going to check out your link about growing from seed right now! :)

Mary Smith said...

I'm really excited about these purple beans! I might try the golden beans next but I'm running out of room at the moment!

Lisa @ Two Bears Farm said...

I've never tried purple beans before, but they sure sound cool!

AngieOuellette-Tower said...

I love those purple beans - I grew them last year. I'm stopping by from photo friday blog hop.
Thanks
Angie
godsgrowinggarden.com

Paula said...

It must be wonderful to be able to grow things year round. Before we know it the ground will be frozen here :P

Thanks for linking up with my NO RULES Weekend Blog Party :)

Paula
lifeasweknowitbypaula.blogspot.com

Unknown said...

Found you via the "Find a Friend Friday" blog hop over at Sew Many Ways!

I've been exploring a bit and am excited to say I'm a new follower! I've been trying to get into gardening lately and you just might be helpful, especially since you're a fellow Floridian!

Weirding with Wisdom

Unknown said...

How cool, you are so lucky...we are in the 40's I don't think any beans are growing here. I will save this for spring. Thanks so much for sharing on Super Sweet Saturday.
Steph
swtboutique.blogspot.com

Anonymous said...

I just came across your blog today. I am intrigued by these purple beans. Maybe we can try them soon. Our growing season has come to an end hear in NC. Check us out at:

http://duckandcoverwiththedorkduo.blogspot.com

Leslie @ Violet Imperfection said...

Purple beans! They look so pretty, I have never seen the, before. I can't wait to see what yours look like in 48 days.

Thanks for linking up to Raising Imperfection!
Leslie
www.violetimperfection.com

Lanaya | Raising Reagan said...

Wow...they are really pretty! And they grow so fast!

Thank you for linking to Raising Imperfection. Please come back Friday to see if you were featured! Happy Thanksgiving! :)

Lanaya
www.raising-reagan.com

SaraSherrell.com said...

*Heavy sigh* I have wanted a garden to be planted at my house for years.... Maybe someday.
Thanks for linking with Raising Imprefection.

Nicole said...

Pretty Beans! Thanks for sharing!