Thursday, July 26, 2012

Health Benefits of Fenugreek

I was a bit slow in starting my Fenugreek seeds this week so I'll let you in on a little secret.  Sprouts are healthy AND delicious.  
You can find Fenugreek at Mary's Heirloom Seeds.

You already knew that?  Fine!  Did you know that Fenugreek can be used in tea, supplements, on salads or as sprouts?  
Maybe you'll learn something new today smarty pants!
Fenugreek Seeds can be sprouted
According to Organicfacts.net (love this website), the health benefits of Fenugreek are:

Good for breast feeding mothers: India’s traditional ayurvedic physicians prescribe fenugreek to nursing mothers. This benefit is attributed to the presence of diosgenin in fenugreek.

Reduce menstrual discomfort: Fenugreek is considered as a potent menstruation ease promoter.

Minimize symptoms of menopause: Fenugreek contains the chemicals diosgenin and estrogenic isoflavones, which are similar to the female sex hormone, estrogen. Loss of estrogen causes menopausal symptoms. So, eating fenugreek helps to reduce menopausal symptoms.

Reduce cholesterol: Studies and researches show that Fenugreek consumption helps to reduce cholesterol level. Fenugreek helps to reduce the level of low density Lipoprotein (LDL) significantly.

Reduces cardiovascular risk: Fenugreek seed contains 25 percent galactomannan. This is a type of natural soluble fiber. This reduces cardiovascular diseases.

Control diabetes: Fenugreek helps to alleviate type II diabetes. According to one study, it may also help people with Type I diabetes. Study done by Indian researchers revealed that Fenugreek added to type I diabetic patient’s diet, helps drop urinary sugar level by 54 percent. Because of the presence of the natural fiber galactomannan, fenugreek slows down the rate at which sugar is absorbed into blood. The amino acid (4-hydroxyisoleucine) in Fenugreek induces the production of insulin and therefore, 15-20 grams of fenugreek daily is recommended for controlling blood sugar.
Sprouted Fenugreek Seeds

Relief for sore throat: Fenugreek’s soothing mucilage helps to relieve sore throat pain and cough.

Relieve constipation: Fenugreek adds bulk to the stool. So, it is helpful to treat constipation and diarrhea and also relieves minor indigestion.

Good for kidney troubles: Traditional Chinese medicine advises fenugreek for kidney patients.

Prevent colon cancer: Fenugreek possesses anticarcinogenic potential. The steroid diosgenin in Fenugreek is colon cancer preventive.

Good appetite suppressant: The natural soluble fibre galactomannan can swell in the stomach and thus, suppresses appetite.

*I am not a doctor (my hubby is)*This information is not meant to diagnose or cure symptoms of diseases*

Ground Fenugreek for recipe or remedy
Now that we have the disclaimer out of the way, did you learn something new?  I use Organicfacts.net quite often for questions about foods and herbs.  We always try natural remedies first in our house and most of the time they are successful.

If you're looking to sprout for the first time, check out Mary's Sprouting Kit and Mary's Sprout Sampler.  I'm still offering 2 free ounces (extra) with each sprouting kit.  That's a total of 4 ounces!

18 comments:

Anonymous said...

i have never sprouted fenugreel, but often use the spice and sometimes the leaves as herbs.

Nancy said...

Not a sprouter, but I admire you for being so health conscious. xo

Lisa Sall - Sall's Country Life said...

Wow, that's a lot of benefits. I'm not sure about sprouting, but I may have to check into the ground form just for the benefits! Thanks for sharing at Farm Fresh Friday!!

tracy said...

There's allot of benefits to this sprout!
My eyes bugged out, when I read it good for the reduction of Menopausal symptoms...I'm there!!!

Unknown said...

I have never heard of fenugreek before. I admit I thought sprouts were just sprouts. I never realized there were different kinds of that they have such great health benefits. Thanks for adding this to the Our Favorite Things Link Party.

ShirleyRunner said...

I drank fenugreek when I was nursing my two kids, a co-worker from India told me about it and I drank fenugreek pills. I must say it really did help with my supply

Mary Smith said...

For those of you who have never heard of Fenugreek, you are not alone. Until I started Mary's Heirloom Seeds a few years ago I had never actually grown my own sprouts. I'm not interested in larger breasts but breast health is VERY important.

And who wouldn't want a natural remedy for the symptoms of menoause?
Thank you for stopping by!

Tobins' Tastes said...

I always learn so much for your posts : )

Thanks so much for sharing at Mealtime Monday!

Kaylee
www.couponingncooking.com

Nicole said...

Thanks so much for sharing about this amazing information on my linky party. I'm pinning this! Please come check out my new Perpetual Parades! I'm sure you will find some great categories to link up to! Have a great week!

Becca said...

Thanks for linking up at Healthy Tuesday. I remember eating sprouts when I was younger and enjoying them (alfalfa sprouts I believe?). I may have to look into these!

Cheerios and Lattes said...

I love the health tip! My husband would enjoy these on a salad (or burger- negating the health part). Thank you for posting on Saturday Show and Tell. I can't wait for what you'll be posting this week, hope to see you back!
-Mackenzie
http://www.cheeriosandlattes.com

Heidi@OneCreativeMommy.com said...

I remember using this when I was breastfeeding. Thanks for the tips, and thanks for joining the party at One Creative Weekend! I hope to see you back tomorrow.

Teekay said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Teekay said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Bella @ Bella before and after said...

Hi Mary, first time visiting your blog. Wow, love it. I am really hoping to start a small garden this summer.

I love eating healthy, and buying organic produce is def not cheap, so growing my own would help so much.

As far as fenugreek is concerned, I never thought of sprouting it, but I've been using it in my cooking for over a decade. Along with many other spices, all of which I learned about when I started cooking Indian food a long time ago. My husband is Indian, and I love the food, so I learned pretty quickly all about the spices.

I can't wait to look over more of your blog, I'm sure I can learn so much. I'm so happy I found you!

Hope you have a wonderful day!!

P.s. After coming back from an extended blogging break, I've started a 40 day challenge to get HEALTHY by my birthday. If you get a chance to check it out, I could sure use the support!
Hugs, Bella :)
Bella's 40 Day Challenge

Marilee said...

I'm not quite sure I understand why people are hesitant about sprouting ... it's certainly more fun to eat a crunchy sprout in a salad or sandwich (or just pop in your mouth for a snack) than it is to take a powder or pill --- at least in my opinion. Thanks for the info. I've never used fenugreek. Will get some today.

P90Xer said...

I am a breastfeeding mother and take fenugreek along with other herbs to help boost supply. I also have milk goats that I give fenugreek and fennel to, to help with supply. I am starting sprouts now. I've always drank the tea or taken the capsules. I can't wait to try the sprouts! Thanks!

Martha said...

I don't have time beating around the bush, instead I go straight to the point.... So to you doubters I ain't expecting you all to believe my testimony but only the few chosen ones by God. In a short summary, I'm here to tell the whole world that I recently got cured from my long term herpes disease, both the HSV1 and HSV2 through the assistance of Herbalist doctor Oyagu I pray God continually blesses Dr Oyagu in all he does, because he is indeed a very good, nice and powerful doctor. I’m cured of herpes disease at last! Wow I'm so much in great joy because I've never in my life believed herbs works, but meeting doctor Oyagu was an eye opener and he made me believe that herpes truly got a complete cure. I used the doctor's herbal medicine for just two weeks and I was totally cured from both my HSV1 and HSV2. I'm so excited. For help and assistance in getting rid of your herpes virus you can Call/WhatsApp doctor Oyagu on his telephone number: +2348101755322 or for more inquiries you can as well contact the doctor on EMAIL: oyaguherbalhome@gmail.com