Tuesday, February 21, 2012

Book Review: Backyard Homesteading

I have to start by saying that most of the books I review are on 
My Bookshelf page.  I don't review or recommend books I don't like.  My mom always told me "If you don't have anything nice to say, don't say anything at all."

Each book has a link to my Amazon Store.  If you purchase anything using the link (As long as you stay on the link or page until checkout) I make a small percentage on almost everything.  Bonus:  It doesn't even have to be an item I listed. Every bit helps and is always appreciated!


 

Backyard Homesteading: A Back-to-Basics Guide to Self-Sufficiency

First things I noticed about this book, Made in the USA and printed on recycled paper!  YES!

Second, if I wasn't already working my own backyard homestead I would definitely be inspired to start!  The book is an easy read with plenty of illustrations.  I learn best by reading and then seeing so this book is a must.  

After reading the section on Growing Fruit, Berries and Nuts I'm thinking about adding a dwarf fruit tree (which can be grown in a container) and Blueberries (which require acidic soil).

Beekeeping? Check!
Backyard Chickens? Check!
Goats? Check!

A modern backyard homestead book would not be complete without a section on canning.  An extra treat I found in Backyard Homesteading is a section on brewing beer and making wine. 

Backyard Homesteading may not be as in-depth as Carla Emery's Encyclopedia of Country Living (more on that later!) but it's a great starter for urban homesteaders.

1 comment:

Ladies Holiday said...

Hi! Thanks for linking up with my Book Worm Wednesday Blog Hop at LadiesHoliday.com! What a great site you have and I love that are homesteading in your backyard, I am trying my hand at an organic vegetable garden this year. Love the idea of being so self-reliant.
Cheers,
Tamar